• grant information

There are grants available from your local county council to assist in adapting your bathroom as well as other works.

A housing adaptation grant is available where changes need to be made to a home to make it suitable for a person with a physical, sensory or intellectual disability or mental health difficulty to live in.


The grant can help you to make changes and adaptations to your home, for example, making it wheelchair-accessible, extending it to create more space, adding a ground-floor bathroom or toilet or a stair-lift. In some cases, the provision of heating can be included, but only under certain conditions.

If you only require minor work, you can apply for the means-tested Mobility Aids Grant Scheme instead.

These 2 schemes (and the Housing Aid for Older People Scheme) are administered by local authorities, under the Housing (Adaptation Grants for Older People and People with a Disability) Regulations 2007, which were amended by new Regulations in 2014.

VAT refunds are available on aids and appliances used by people with disabilities. This refund scheme also applies to the cost of installation and adaptation work.


The Housing Adaptation Grant for People with a Disability can be paid to people in:

  • Owner-occupied housing
  • Houses being purchased from a local authority under the Tenant Purchase Scheme
  • Private rented accommodation (the duration of your tenancy can affect grant approval)
  • Accommodation provided under the voluntary housing Capital Assistance and Rental Subsidy schemes
  • Accommodation occupied by people living in communal residences

If you purchase or build a new home, you may get the grant but at a lower rate.

You must satisfy the local authority that you will occupy the property as your normal place of residence when the works have been done. If you are a tenant, you must also get written approval from your landlord.



Your application will be prioritised based on medical need.

There are 3 priority levels:

  • Priority 1: A person who is terminally ill or fully or mainly dependent on their family or carer; or where alterations or adaptations would facilitate their discharge from hospital or alleviate the need for hospitalisation in the future
  • Priority 2: A person who is mobile but who needs assistance in accessing washing, toilet facilities, bedroom etc.; or where without the alterations or adaptations their ability to function independently would be hindered
  • Priority 3: A person who is independent but who requires special facilities to improve their quality of life, for example, a separate bedroom or living space

Assessment by occupational therapist

An occupational therapist’s (OT) assessment may be required. The local authority can arrange for this, or you can employ an OT yourself and recoup up to €200 of the cost from the local authority as part of the grant, subject to the maximum grant limit.

If you are applying for the grant to adapt your home for a child with a disability, and the child has had an assessment of need under Part 2 of the Disability Act 2005, the local authority should refer to the OT recommendations contained in this assessment report.

Means test

Your total household income is assessed to find out if you qualify for the grant and the amount payable.

Household income is:

  • The property owner’s (or tenant’s) annual gross income, together with their spouse’s or partner’s annual gross income, in the previous tax year
  • The income of any other adults living in the household who are aged over 23 years if in full-time education, or aged over 18 and not in full-time education

The following is not taken into account when calculating your household income:

Local Authority Grant Information

Dublin City Council

Home Grants, Housing & Residential Services, Block 2 Floor 2, Civic Offices, Wood Quay, Dublin 8.
Ph: 01-2222195

Website: www.dublincity.ie

Like what you see or just need some more information? Get in contact with us today – just click the button!

© Copyright - Leinster Bathrooms & Stairlifts 2018